It’s that time again! Hear from our Chief Executive Lauren, meet our new Sight Loss Advisors, learn about our new support hubs, and find out how you can volunteer to help people with sight loss.
With Vision North Somerset’s current strategy ending in 2022 and having come through a challenging time, it seems right to develop a new strategy to take us through the next few years. We aim to be led by the needs of local people so we would love your input via our strategy survey and, if possible, workshops coming up in January 2023.
Come along to a workshop to share your thoughts on support for local people with sight or hearing impairment. Help Vision North Somerset plan its work for the next few years. This will be a fun, interactive workshop with a range of local health and care staff, volunteers and people with sight or hearing impairment.
Workshop options – pick one:
- Central Portishead with good transport links – Tuesday 24th January, 1pm to 3pm.
- Central Weston-super-Mare with good transport links – Wednesday 25th January, 10am to 12 noon.
- For people with vision impairment: https://forms.office.com/e/TuzUhpsNQw
- For people with hearing impairment: (Contact us for a paper copy)
- For Vision North Somerset volunteers: https://forms.office.com/e/wL5rw9P80K
- For professionals working with people in North Somerset: https://forms.office.com/e/cByhs04sNW
Find out what help is available with the Cost-of-Living Crisis, meet our new Peer Support Services Coordinator Claire, learn more about our services for Deaf and Hard of Hearing people, and see how you can get involved helping local visually impaired people.
- We’ve joined North Somerset Community Lottery!
- Support local causes and win prizes of up to £25,000!
- 50% of all tickets sold from our page go to us!
- Plus 10% goes to other local good causes!
- Tickets only cost £1 per week!
- Support us and win prizes – it’s a win-win!
How to join
- Visit the North Somerset Community Lottery: Vision North Somerset website
- Or telephone 01934 271127 and pay by direct debit
- Players must be over 16 years of age or older
- You can cancel your lottery tickets at any time
The RNIB’s Living Well with Sight Loss phone course is being run in partnership with Vision North Somerset for North Somerset residents.
The course is open to those with sight loss as well as family members. The course is free and is run over 4 sessions.
To access the course, you will receive a phone call so all you need is either a landline or mobile phone. You can choose to join in on the phone call or just listen to the information.
The course is being run at 10:30am for no more than 1 hour 15 minutes on:
- Wednesday 5th October
- Wednesday 12th October
- Wednesday 19th October
- Wednesday 26th October
Week 1 – Introduction:
- What the course entails
- Where to find information on specific eye conditions
- Certification and Registration (Certificate of Visual Impairment, Role of Low Vision Service, Magnifiers, Lighting)
- Role of Eye Care Liaison Officer, Rehabilitation Officer and RNIB Services.
Week 2 – In the Home:
- Home Visits from a Rehabilitation Officer
- Low vision aid equipment
- Daily Living Aids at home including making drinks and preparing food, talking equipment, reading labels, reading equipment, RNIB catalogue.
- Technology including accessibility settings, basic info on smart phones, recommended apps, smart speakers, etc.
Week 3 – Getting Out and About:
- Mobility and Orientation,
- Role of a Rehabilitation Officer in terms of helping with mobility, discussing white canes,
- Guide Dogs for the Blind,
- Public Transport,
- Welfare Benefits and Legal Rights
Week 4 – Eye Health, Wellbeing, Leisure and Staying Connected:
- How to look after our eyes
- Charles Bonnet Syndrome
- Sight Loss and Wellbeing
- 5 steps to wellbeing (Connect with others, be physically and mentally active, learn new skills, give to others, be mindful)
- RNIB Connect and Next Steps
To take part in the course please phone Vision North Somerset on 01934 419393 between 10am and 1pm Monday to Thursday and ask for Anna or Lori.
Meet new CEO Lauren and Registration & Equipment Advisor Lori; discover our phone groups, tech wizards, and equipment service for hearing loss; and find out how you can help make everything happen.
Are you living with Sight Loss? How has the pandemic affected you? And what could we do to help? We’d love to hear from you!
Tell us more about your experiences so we can tailor our services to better support people living with Sight Loss in North Somerset.
If you’d like to have your say, or maybe get involved in future consultations with Vision North Somerset, please follow the link below to complete our survey on Microsoft Forms.
Torch Trust, the Christian Sight Loss charity, is offering a FREE audio Bible player to anyone who is losing their sight in the UK.
The audio players are the new Megavoice Pathways and feature David Suchet reading the New Testament and Psalms. This small MP3 player has an in-built speaker, preinstalled rechargeable batteries and comes with charging cable and headphones. The players have been tested by people who are partially sighted or new to sight loss, with positive feedback about their ease of use and content.
Anyone who is losing their sight can apply to Torch Trust to receive a player. This can be done online https://torchtrust.org/pathway/ or by calling 01858 438260. Each player will be dispatched with a lanyard, for ease of carrying, and instructions.