The RNIB’s Living Well with Sight Loss phone course is being run in partnership with Vision North Somerset for North Somerset residents.
The course is open to those with sight loss as well as family members. The course is free and is run over 4 sessions.
To access the course, you will receive a phone call so all you need is either a landline or mobile phone. You can choose to join in on the phone call or just listen to the information.
The course is being run at 10:30am for no more than 1 hour 15 minutes on:
- Wednesday 5th October
- Wednesday 12th October
- Wednesday 19th October
- Wednesday 26th October
Week 1 – Introduction:
- What the course entails
- Where to find information on specific eye conditions
- Certification and Registration (Certificate of Visual Impairment, Role of Low Vision Service, Magnifiers, Lighting)
- Role of Eye Care Liaison Officer, Rehabilitation Officer and RNIB Services.
Week 2 – In the Home:
- Home Visits from a Rehabilitation Officer
- Low vision aid equipment
- Daily Living Aids at home including making drinks and preparing food, talking equipment, reading labels, reading equipment, RNIB catalogue.
- Technology including accessibility settings, basic info on smart phones, recommended apps, smart speakers, etc.
Week 3 – Getting Out and About:
- Mobility and Orientation,
- Role of a Rehabilitation Officer in terms of helping with mobility, discussing white canes,
- Guide Dogs for the Blind,
- Public Transport,
- Welfare Benefits and Legal Rights
Week 4 – Eye Health, Wellbeing, Leisure and Staying Connected:
- How to look after our eyes
- Charles Bonnet Syndrome
- Sight Loss and Wellbeing
- 5 steps to wellbeing (Connect with others, be physically and mentally active, learn new skills, give to others, be mindful)
- RNIB Connect and Next Steps
To take part in the course please phone Vision North Somerset on 01934 419393 between 10am and 1pm Monday to Thursday and ask for Anna or Lori.